We announce the winners of the 2018 Fall Travel Awards and where they travelled.
Carpentry Connect Davis
Over the weekend of May 30 - June 1, Hao attended Carpentry Connect Davis. Here’s a short write-up of what he did
Jetstream/XSEDE is an NSF-funded cloud-environment for computing. The interface is a bit more friendly than typical university high-performance computing environments (IMO). You can select different levels of virtual machines, with hardware spec appropriate to your use case, and with different pre-installed programming languages and packages for whatever you need to do.
- how do you get large datasets onto a VM
- how to get access / funding / computer time
Binder is a tool for creating and sharing interactive coding environments through a web browser. The goal is to address the difficulties associated with reproducing a data analysis, namely:
- programming language
- packages and other dependencies
Binder works by using repo2docker to create a Docker image from a GitHub repo – this encapsulates all the files within the repo (including data and code), as well as the programming language and packages. The result is a link, that when clicked, launches a virtual machine with an instance of the image, and allows for testing out the code from within a web browser (without needing to install anything).
- sustainability of funding for continued operations
- potential uses in teaching or sharing of data journalism stories
Pathways for Community Involvement with the Carpentries
One of the discussion points among folks in attendance was: “What do you do after you attend a workshop?” There are several possible next steps:
- practice and build skills in a community (great if there are local groups, such as R-Ladies or similar)
- get involved with helping and instructing at future workshops (great if there’s a local group or folks who actively lead organization of workshops)
- become involved in other ways?
- what are best practices for finding or starting a local community? how do you acquire those skills?
- what can Carpentries do to help with this?
- how can different ways to become involved with Carpentries (e.g. lesson contributor, maintainer, mentor, helper, etc.) be better advertised or roles adjusted to improve community interaction?
Fall 2018 Board Candidates
Nominations open until 9/10, ballots due 9/17
Join us on August 17th for talks, panel discussions, breakout sessions, and more!
Connecting with the broader Carpentries community at UCD
The Spring 2018 elections will open on Friday 1/19/2018. Links to the ballot on ballotbin.com will be emailed to eligible voters during the day and will be d...