2022-01-24 Board Meeting
- Location: Remote
- Date: January 24, 2022 11:00 AM (EST)
- Approve minutes from 2022 January 14 meeting
- Update on FY 2022 budget
- Updates on sponsor emails
- Update and delegation of tasks on “Intro to R” workshop
- Update on Carpentries workshop requests for Spring 2022
- Other business
- Cory Brunson, Amanda Markee, Caitlin Campbell, Audrey Smith, Aida Miro-Herrens, Amobichukwu Amanambu, Narayani Barve, Vijay Barve
- Meeting Chair: Cory
- Meeting Secretary: Caitlin
- Invitation to informatics training group from Aida. Comprised of faculty/staff involved in Informatics / Libraries trainings. Purpose: informatics training across campus. Will email information / volunteer at end of meeting.
Approve meeting minutes
- Approved minutes from January 14th 2021 Board Meeting
Update on FY22 budget
- Will table and return in February.
Sponsorship emails & contact
- Sponsor emails approved in last meeting pending approval of some numbers. Cory has run calculations on workshop data, no objections to proceeding.
- A few more numbers to incorporate into the broader dataset.
- Sponsor emails will have drafts updated today by Cory. The deadline to send is end of January, so send them out this week.
- Cory will send signup sheet in reminder email.
Update and delegation of tasks on “Intro to R” workshop
- Scheduled for next Monday and Tuesday.
- Will cover roughly the first half of the ‘R for Reproducible Scientific Analysis’ (https://swcarpentry.github.io/r-novice-gapminder/) curriculum
- The second half will be covered in an upcoming workshop in February 2022
- Draft website: https://uf-carpentry.github.io/2022-01-31-Intro-to-R-online/
- Should we replace the ggplot2 section with base R plotting, or follow the default lesson curriculum? Sticking with ggplot2.
- Should we put in a nominal fee?
- Motivation is to encourage people to attend the entire session
- Suggested adding some mechanism for a waiver in case of financial hardship– that is approved.
- No objections to ammended plan.
- How to line up a rollover to the subsequent workshop? Could do 2 or 3 weeks later.
- Will settle on the 21-22 of February for the ‘Intro to data science’ workshop
- The nominal fee will not apply to registrants of workshop 1 when registering for workshop 2 (it will be honor system)
- We could switch from slack to etherpad for real-time chat during the workshops.
- Does etherpad have the same multi-channel format as slack? Etherpad has a sidebar for chat, and a central area where the code is entered and shared.
- Slack has worked well for us thus far. We will stick with slack for this workshop. Audrey will be point person for anyone running into issues setting it up.
- Next steps
- Flora has basic information, plans for fee and for 45-student cap.
- Cory will email sponsor organizations to invite them to attend today, out to everyone tomorrow.
- Flora has existing list to send to
- We also need to solicit instructors. Updated signup sheet so it can be sent to informatics instructors list for signups.
- Checking required packages
Update on Carpentries workshop requests for Spring 2022
- Updates on centrally-organized workshop requests. Requesting 3 workshops from our Carpentries coordinator contact, but scheduling has been challenging.
- Library carpentries dates approved April 18-19, that is approved and on the books.
- Other dates for other workshops are not approved / a maybe due to conflicts. We need to select other dates.
- Moving forward, will we have to choose one workshop between the two. Or we could do genomics or python workshops in-house?
- We do have potential instructors available for an in-house genomics workshop. Potentially try to do genomics workshop in the summer? In-house during spring semester seems like a lot. Early April, will reach out.
- Any two-day periods in April that would not be good? Amanda will proceed with grabbing any dates available in April for the Python workshop
Key takeaways from today
- Sponsor emails sent out this week; templates will be updated today
- Instructor signup sheet for upcoming workshop, also feel free to signup today.
Notes for next meeting:
- Narayani will chair; Amanda will take minutes.
- Next meeting is Febrary 7 at 11 EST