Board members: Hao, Brian, Joe, Elise, Geraldine, Gaurav
Non-board members: Matt
Chair: Hao; Secretary: Brian
- approve old minutes (esp. amendment to handle election ties)
- logistics for Spring semester board meetings (date/time/location) + positions
- dates for February workshop
- proposed workflow for waitlist management (UF museum and WEC)
- dates for instructor training
- determine criteria for instructor training applicants and publicize (https://github.com/UF-Carpentry/Coordination/issues/14)
- review budget for Spring; schedule travel awards
- coordination with other groups (communication channels, and connections)
- off-site workshops planning
- website cleaning and updates
- clip art for club charter box
- describe finances and budget for the public
- description and cross-linking to other groups at UF
Last week’s minutes
logistics for Spring semester board meetings (date/time/location) + positions
- Continue with 3:45 PM every other Tuesday.
- Gaurav will take over as chair for the next meeting, Brian will continue as secretary.
dates for February workshop
- The workshop will be on February 11 and 12.
- Brian will confirm the dates with Flora.
- Hao will organize the workshop.
- Content: We’d like to do *nix shell, git, data carpentry R lessons.
- Hao will check with Tracy to see if we can call this an official Carpentries workshop.
proposed workflow for reservations and waitlist management (UF museum and WEC)
We decided on a detailed solution summarized in this issue comment.
dates for instructor training
- Instructor training will be on April 8 and 9, pending room availability.
- determine criteria for instructor training applicants and publicize: we will discuss the rating criteria at the next board meeting.
- Geraldine, Elise, and Brian might co-organize the instructor training.
- Elise will contact Flora re: room availability.
review budget for Spring; schedule travel awards
- Geraldine will meet with Matt to learn about budget management and processes; she will report back at the next meeting.
coordination with other groups (communication channels, and connections)
- Joe is meeting this week with Vinay, the current president of DSI, and will report back next week.
- There is also a social sciences R group on campus.
- The goal here is to get a comprehensive list, with contact info, of all data science-oriented groups at UF. We will work on this in a Github issue.
off-site workshops planning
- Simona is planning a workshop at Homestead this semester.
- Geraldine will contact Jeanna (the IFAS vice president) about making off-site workshops a formal program and obtaining financial support from IFAS for UF Carpentries.
Update on Emerging Pathogens Institute (EPI) workshop
- Geraldine gave a brief update after her meeting with the two organizers (Carla Mavini and Taylor Paisie).
- They wanted to be involved in teaching themselves, and have looked at the current genomics curriculum to see what’s relevant. R is not in genetics component; the R component isn’t finalized, and the timing not worked out.
- They want visualizations; at least 1 person who is certified (?), want small bit on HPC but no overlap with HPC workshops.
- They don’t seem to want to run it themselves.
- Will be Jan 22.