2022-09-23 Board Meeting
- Location: Remote
Date: September 23, 2022 1:00 PM (EST)
- Approval of September 6 Board Meeting minutes
- Board nominations/elections update
- Introductory R for Ecologists workshop recap
- Upcoming genomics workshop: general updates, lesson plan
- Updates on upcoming libraries workshop: scheduling
- Any other business
- Cory Brunson, Caitlin Campbell, Amanda Markee, Audrey Smith, Dellena Bloom, Ali Alruzuq
- Meeting Chair: Caitlin
- Meeting Secretary: Audrey
*Minutes from September 6th meeting approved (with one small edit by Audrey).
Board nominations/elections update
- Audrey extended elections period & self-nomination deadline to Friday, Sept. 30th.
- So far only 4 nominations.
- Some current members (e.g., Caitlin, Audrey, Cory) will stay on if needed, i.e. if we don’t recieve many/anough first-time self-nominations.
R for Ecologists Workshop Recap
- Skill-level- several participates indicated that the lessons were too introductory/novice for them
- Include skill/knowledge level in workshop name when advertising in the future
- Interest in intermediate level R workshops
- R for reproduceable science workshop in Spring is more intermediate: https://swcarpentry.github.io/r-novice-gapminder/
Genomics Workshop Update
- Dates confirmed for Oct. 10-11; in-person format.
- Aida & Cory are main organizers and instructors. Amanda will volunteer as helper.
- Flora created registration page; Cory will add event to website.
- Cory will send out call for volunteer helpers.
- Cap enrollment at 24. Charge of $10 per person to cover food & beverages ($5/day); $2 fee covered by Carpentries funds.
- Amazon Web Services (AWL) will be used instead of HyperGator. Plan to use HyperGator in the future.
Libraries Workshop Update
- Amanda: Heard back from Carpentries- Dec. 2-3- will email Danielle to ask to change to Dec. 1-2 as Dec. 3rd is a Saturday.
- Centrally-organized workshop; Carpentries Org will provide instructors & create workshop website.
- UF Carpentries/Flora will handle registration.
Any Other Business
- Club social event to review GitHub organization, etc., will be planned for late October.
- Include old/current & new board members.
Notes for Next Meeting
- The next board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Oct. 4th, 1:00-2:00pm EST.
- Cory will serve as Chair; Amanda as Secretary.
- Cory will send Outlook calendar invite.