- Spring instructor training workshop details
- November workshops’ debrief
- Spring workshops
- Spring social event
- UFII director meeting
- Travel grants
Board members: Brian Stucky, Elise Morrison, Eve Bohnett, Vratika Chaudhary (chair), Jenicca Poongavanan (secretary),Minghao, Carla Mavian; Guests: Brandon, Hao Ye,
Last Meeting Minutes
Novemeber Workshop Debrief
- We had sticky note feedback at the end of the two days.
- Overall the feedback was positive. One day one, the participants mentionned things were going too quickly.
- We did lose a couple of people on day 2.
- some additional comments from Brian and Vratika - For this workshop we had a new mix of lessons. It was a good curriculum - the most useful and successful curriculum so far. Most researchers now manages their data in databases, csv files.
- A checklist of basic things an instructor can go through to make sure to cover the necessary points. The instructors can use this as a guideline.
- We could also give new instructors a chance but giving a lesson for the first 15 min of the workshop, to give them a chance get feedback from the other more experienced intructors.
- We should make sure the helpers are on the same page.
- Make sure to have vegan options. Have more vegetarian options.
- Survey on scholarship for workshops - the feedback was that the fee was too high. Two people said that the fee was the reason why they didnt attend the workshop before.
- We should ask for a feedback from the participant regarding the fees.
Genomics Workshop Debrief
- A lot of people praised the workshop.
- Helpers were very helpful.
- The first day was too slow. The first day they had to work with entering command lines.
- The instructors are thinking of shrinking the time allocated to command lines.
- Some people mentionned about having an introduction of the other participants.
- A lot of people forget about their sticky notes.
- A lot of the syllabus was not included - it was done very briefly. They are thinking of starting with the command line.
Spring Instructor Workshop
- We are targeting February 2020.
- We need to set up the application maybe early January.
- We are considering a REC as location. UF satelites campus.
- Geospatial Modelling - usually a big demand of this workshop.
- We can run a bigger workshop (>25), if we find a bigger venue. One option would be to run two sessions. Also it could be only a one day option
- Machine learning workshop
- Software carpentry one day workshop. (MAYBE)
- Sometime late January 2020. Two weeks before the instructor workshop.
- We have a losely set cycle. There is a call for application where people apply. It is usually 2 to 3 times a year.
- We need to sort out the deadlines etc by early next year so as to allow people to make plans.
- We need to set up the application thorugh google forms.
- Applications should be out by early January
UFII director meeting
- Wednesday 20th Nov 2020
- Vratika: Chair
- Jenicca/Carla: secretary