2018-06-19 Board Meeting
Simona (remote), Kristina (remote), Geraldine (remote), Matt, Punam, Justin, Miao, Brian, Hao, Carpentries Executive Council, David Jennings, Jilly Bean (remote)
- benefits for supporting departments and membership renewal
- dates for fall workshop(s)
- travel award cycle for the summer
- next meeting (July 3 - interim chair, Simona will be gone)
Renewal funding and benefits for supporting departments
- four options for
- discounted seats for workshops (not feasible with existing registration system)
- reserved seats for workshops
- could do 50/50 reserved seats, gets us to 70 seats for $15000
- early announcement and registration
- “priority” registration?
- reserved seats for instructor training
- same conceptual idea as for workshops, skip application process
- will this be valuable to departments?
- has broader pedagogical value
- arranging for mutual scheduling of workshops and content
- $1500 (unit for support)
- 6 priority seats in workshops
- 2 priority seats in instructional training
- first review of workshop schedule
- how would this work?
- input into timing and material
- input into instructor selection
- helps us identify what students will benefit from
- “participation in the schedule” (one scheduling meeting per semester?)
- Is this needed?
- many departments may have good will for funding already
- Ethan (White Lab) will support up to $3750
- Larry (iDigBio) will support $3750
- Informatics / Library might be able to support $3750
- money might need to be shuffled around to deal with what grants can support
- sustainability for future funding is a priority objective
Fall 2018 Workshops
- first week of October (iDigBio has summit on 1st, 2nd, 3rd)
- iDigBio is working on an adaptation of the R Ecology lesson using collections data (could be presented / taught)
- 1-day version? (scheduling is difficult with LSU playing on Friday)
- logistics can follow regular Carpentries workshops
- do we want to have one for the summer?
- we’re out of money
- do we want to schedule an awards cycle for the Fall?
- next discussion point will be Spring 2019
- need to figure out budgeting (treasurer)
- see this for updating schedule: https://github.com/UF-Carpentry/Coordination/issues/25
- shift forward next week’s meeting to June 26
- coordination for all of our friends?
- R meetup (Dan Maxwell)
- Libraries (Plato)
- schedule a coordination meeting in mid-July
- what events?
- at least 2 full workshops
- at least 2 single-day workshops
- discussion panel
- non-academic careers panel (UFII, UFIT, Libraries?)
- Carpentry Connect in South Africa (~September)
- Carpentry Champions / Community-Building
- how can the UF model be “exported” / duplicated elsewhere?
- how can the executive council support this? (they are interested)
- open an issue and make a google doc for initial email
- schedule a coordination meeting for August Carpentries Festival / Research Bazaar for the week of July 9