This initial board was formed first come, first serve, from the pool of existing instructors:
- François Michonneau
- Miao Sun
- Brian Stucky
- Matthew Collins
- Hao Ye
- Erica Christensen
- Kristina Riemer
- Simona Picardi
Justin Millar, Brian Stucky, Miao Sun, Hao Ye, Erica Christensen, Kristina Riemer, Plato Smith, Simona Picardi (remote)
Marston L136, Thursday 2017-11-16 1:00 - 2:00 pm
- Is everyone ok with meetings being open and notes being public?
- Discussion & yes/no decision on a multi-week Carpentry workshop next semester
- Preliminary workshop schedule for next semester including instructor training and 3 previously discussed workshops. Ethan is willing to discuss purchasing an additional instructor training as well.
- Discussion of organizational structures (board, officers, benevolent dictator, etc.)
- (Optional) Discussion of mission statement
1. multi-week Carpentry
The weekly workshop idea (DC R materials presented over 6 weeks) is already in progress by the R meetup members - Justin Millar, Ben Toh, and Shawn Taylor. The Carpentry Club (CC) is happy to support this with instructors or other resources but they’ll lead the coordination.
- Workshop will charge a fee (discussed $46, some CC board members wanted it as low as possible, willing to leave the exact dollar amount and justification for later but there was general agreement to charge something.)
- Workshop will be DC curriculum and will have attendance and certificates for participants
- Goal of workshop is to provide more skilled people for R meetups so they can focus on more advanced topics.
2. workshop schedule
Everyone agrees having a schedule fixed in advance is useful. UFII web site is a way to advertise it. Already have some workshops that we’ve talked about:
- Dev Paudel’s workshop in (I think) plant pathology: Jan 27-28 (Sat and Sun). This would be a good beginning of the semester time. Concerns raised about the weekend though:
- Less accessible to instructors and attendees with outside obligations
- Increased likelihood of attrition as people need their weekend and may not be willing to commit time There was discussion of the concept of reserved seats:
- Should reserved seats be the same price? If a group wants to take space for themselves should they commit more?
- We shouldn’t be a way for departments to skip the costs of meeting their educational obligations by asking use to do workshops for them.
- Our personal motivations for volunteering are usually around giving to the UF community, not an individual department or group. Recommendation is to follow up with Dev about these concerns.
- Plato Smith’s workshop Mar 20-21 (Tues and Wed)
This is part of a symposium week being put on by UFII, DSI symposium Sat, Data Symposium Monday, workshop Tues & Wed, UFII Symposium](https://informatics.institute.ufl.edu/seminars-and-events/conferences-and-symposiums/) Thursday.
- Agreed on supporting this workshop
- Plato is willing to not reserve seats based on the prior conversation about reservations
- A 4th workshop (3rd 2-day workshop) There is interest and probably capacity to do one more, Francois suggested doing it after the spring instructor training and there was general agreement. February was a good month.
Proposed Spring workshop schedule:
- January 27-28 - ?? Carpentry
- March 20-12 - Data Carpentry
- February 5-9 - Instructor training this week
- February 19-23 - ?? Carpentry
Then we should plan on a workshop the week after exams but that was not discussed much yet.
3. organizational structures
Most are interested in a more flat structure like a board with rotating chair or ad-hoc job assignments. Treasurer is a key role that needs to have someone clearly in charge. Most other decisions to be made are best done collaboratively, not top-down like by a president. Someone needs to run meetings.
FLREC runs a week-long for credit course in data analysis for movement eccology, they have people come down from UF and elsewhere to take it.
Doing a workshop this summer at FLREC would be a good fit.
Denis Valle tracks stats classes in a Shiny app: https://ufstatscourses.shinyapps.io/shiny_tutorial/
- Follow up with Dev about his workshop, raise weekend and seat reservation concerns
- Contact Ethan & Carpentries to request instructor training in Feb
- Create an active instructor list for UF
- Finalize pricing, location for weekly workshop so they can advertise at their pace
- Discuss organizational structures & plan for voting