2022-08-22 Board Meeting
- Location: Remote
- Date: August 22, 2022 11:00 AM (EST)
- Approval of July 11 Board Meeting minutes
- Fall 2022 Meet-and-Greet event update
- Finalize genomics workshop details
- Update on IFAS Report
- Cory Brunson, Caitlin Campbell, Aida Miro-Herrans, Amanda Markee, Audrey Smith
- Meeting Chair: Cory
- Meeting Secretary: Audrey
*Minutes from July 11th meeting approved.
Meet-and-Greet Event Update
- Scheduled for Friday, Sept. 2nd, 11:30am-1:00pm.
- Dellena is main organizer with help of Flora & Audrey.
- Registratiojn link is up & running; registration closes Aug. 31 to include lunch, Sept. 1 without lunch.
- Email invitation has been created; Audrey will check with Dellena about emailing Carpentries Club sponsoring departments.
- Audrey created flyer adverstisement; Amanda will create QR code for registration and add to flyer.
- Aida- good idea to post flyers by Health Sciences Library- Audrey with do this with help of Cory/Aida if needed.
- All board members to send event announcement/invite email to respective departments and other potentially
Genomics Workshop Update
- Dates finalized for Oct. 10-11. Format will be in-person.
- Aida & Cory are main organizers. Aida will teach; at least one additional instructor desired.
- Cap enrollment at 20. Charge of $10 per person to cover food & beverages ($5/day); $2 fee covered by Carpentries funds.
- Amazon Web Services (AWL) will be used instead of HyperGator. Plan to use HyperGator in the future.
- Students can request access via libraries (allow 2 weeks time prior to scheduled Carpentries workshops).
- Cory will check with Flora that workshop participants from 2021-22 (and earlier) are added to email listserv first, then then draft email to recruit workshop instructors & helpers.
IFAS Report Update
- Audrey will check on status of reports that were in progress over the last several months and report back.
- IFAS has traditionally been one of the main sponsors of the Carpentries, and the Club provided them with a data report (i.e., how money supported the club- # of workshops & participants per AY).
- Cory- will follow up with Hao Yue regarding automated stats updates (i.e., post-workshop states added to GitHub).
- Amanda- DC organization provides stats (and survey results) after workshops (only for centrally-organized workshops?)- will ask Danielle.
- Will be advertised/announced at Meet-and-Greet event.
- Open nomination process/create Google form prior to meet-and-greet event.
- Cory will follow up with Flora, i.e., adding workshop partipants to informatics listserv; then send email announcement regarding 2022-23 Board Member elections.
- Need to update webpage & create/update Google form for Nominations.
- Nomination process open for 1-2 weeks; voting 1 week; determine new board members by end of Sept.
Any Other Business
Governance documents (in gov-edit-pitch branch)
- Changes approved & website updated (thanks, Cory!)
Data Analysis and Visualization in R for Ecologists Workshop Planning Update
- Caityn & Dellena serving as workshop co-organizers.
- Tentative dates for Sept. 19-20, or 19-21, depending on length/number of lessons included.
- Held remotely; 100% virtual workshop via Zoom.
- What is the enrollment cap?
Libraries Workshop Planning Update
- Will be centrally-organized
- Tentatively held in early November
- Amanda will contact Danielle from Data Carpentries Org about available date
Student Travel Grants
- Audrey will ask Flora about availability of funds.
- Follow up via email and talk about at next meeting. prior to next board meeting.
Notes for Next Meeting
- The board meeting is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 6th, 11:00am EST. (No classes on Monday, Sept. 5th.)
- Caitlyn will serve as Chair; Audrey as Secretary.