2020-08-11 Board Meeting
-Approve minutes from July 28, 2020 board meeting: -HiPERGator/UNIX workshop -August workshops. -Genomics workshop in late fall (possibly the week before Thanksgiving) -Elections -Annual report. -Follow up on short collaboration with chemometrics course (Brian). -Follow up on how do we approach potential sponsors this year?
- Brian, Alethea, Vratika, Carla, Eve, Ying Zhang (guest) Ying Zhang works at UFIT Research computing as a research facilitator. Through her job she also provided training on Research computing.
Approve minutes from July 28th, 2020 board meeting
HiPERGator/UNIX workshop, coordination with Ying Zhang, Genomic workshop in late fall (possibly the week before Thanksgiving)
- Unix session is part of genomics workshop
- We want to do HiPERGator workshop as well, so want to find a neat space where we don’t overlap with the UFIT Research computing workshop. -Probably a workshop for half a day, Matt Gitzindiner might be a good contact for HiPERGator training as he does training each week for one hour.
- We can schedule a half a day of training with Matt- how to get an account? submitting a job? software modules etc- can be done in half a day.
- NVIDIA training will focus on AI, Ying is certified to teach NVIDIA’S courses. She can teach Deep learning with the NVIDIA class for UF Carpentry. It will be hard to shrink this is half a day, it is likely a 9-4 curriculum.
- Regular NVIDIA teaching class will be longer than half a day and it is hands-on.
- Do we as a group want to create/co-ordinate a deep learning, computer vision workshop?
- We do get HiPERGator space for workshops, the UFIT help desk can give us training account access. They are scheduled till October 22nd. This link can be used to access the training schedule: https://help.rc.ufl.edu/doc/Training
- Do we need to coordinate with Matt for standalone UNIX/ HiPERGator- Carla says genomics workshop is 2 days and 1st day in HiPERGator and UNIX and 2nd the day is genomics stuff. Both days are important for the genomics workshop. They need to know UNIX and HiPERGator before they pursue the genomics part. Eve suggested putting Unix/HiPERGator a week before and then a week later we can schedule genomics stuff. The way the curriculum is HiPERGator training was covered in an hour, UNIX is more important. -Would the EPI people or Genomics people be interested in taking a workshop online? The workshop can be scheduled later in Fall and we can see if people want a workshop online at all.
####August workshops. -Pushed to September
- Decide on a timeline, send emails soliciting nominations. People need to submit the paragraph on why they are nominating themselves and people can vote based.
- We can’t have a society now.
- Current members, who would run again: Brian (considering), Elise?, Jenicca?
- How do we get potential nominations - bring people who are interested in the next board meeting? We can start sending out announcement emails to the departments.
- Advertise board meeting
- Timeline: Elections notifications by the end of the meeting and can do a virtual meet and greet on Sep 8th?
- The new board can start Oct 1st, meeting with the new board on 22nd
Next meeting Sep 1st agenda item
- Elections notifications by the end of the meeting
- Intro to R workshop -Annual report. -Follow up on short collaboration with chemometrics course (Brian). -Follow up on how do we approach potential sponsors this year?