Approval of meeting minutes: https://www.uf-carpentries.org/minutes/board-2020-06-02/
- REC workshop preparation new dates- 4 day distributed workshop: https://uf-carpentry.github.io/2020-06-29-IFAS_REC_ecology/
- Reporting of UFCC stats to funders: Status and tasks etc
Approval of meeting minutes
- Notes approved
- Workshop misspelled, Brian fixed
REC workshop: Announcing
- Are we ready to send out the workshop announcement?
- For same workshop but over two weeks, do we want two registration links?
- Or have them register for the parts of the workshop they want to register for?
- Eve told Alethea that we would have one registration link
- 20 people cap, if a certain number of people don’t show up over the whole time, then it’s not a problem
- Registering twice could be confusing
- DECISION: All agreed that people can attend all or some of the workshop
- DECISION: Only one registration link
- Eve will have people tell her if they have travel plans to let her know if there would be slots
- Eve finished website
- DECISION: We can send out announcement this week
- What about listserves for REC people?
- Director of Jenicca’s REC is interested in sharing it among all RECs
- When Eve gets registration link from Flora (tomorrow), Eve will send it along to Jennica
REC workshop: Curriculum
- Eve put together tentative schedule
- Schedule split into an hour and a half sessions
- Cut out intro to R
- Manipulating and analyzing data in R
- Introduction to ordinations
- Intro to linear mixed models
- NEON section
- Data clustering
- SQL for Data Management
- Jenicca confirmed that advanced material is desired
- People at the REC already been to one intro to R workshop but didn’t specify curriculum that they wanted
- Could we find advanced courses under the Carpentries?
- The material that Eve included was suggested as supplementary material by the carpentries
- Stats out of traditional Carpentries scope
- Could present challenges
- There are a lot of subtle things about each topic
- Within that time frame, can’t cover the subtlety
- Should we do Software Carpentry in Shell or Git instead?
- How much is hiding lots of complexity is beneficial in the long run?
- Will the students give up and want to know how to run the models without understanding it?
- Either simpler, or fewer topics
- This is more about teaching tools, rather than stats
- NEON day 1, and day 2 version control, then geospatial
- what about the shell?
- if we did geospatial, would it just be one day
- forget shell and git, keep Day 1
- NEON at day 2: first hour and a half
- then geospatial after that?
- Do we want to make it just a geospatial workshop?
- Or add git at the end?
- What does Jenicca think the RECs would want?
- she sent out survey
- most people voted for Ecology, close second was geospatial
- is the version control useful for the RECs?
- Jenicca thinks maybe not really useful for RECs, most people know it
- R for ecologists, NEON data, and geospatial are probably of most interest
Consensus, change schedule to be: Day 1: R for Ecology: manipulating and analyzing data, visualizing data Day 2: am, lesson 1: Intro to NEON Day 2: am, lesson 2: extension of NEON lesson or R markdown (https://ourcodingclub.github.io/tutorials/rmarkdown/) Day 3: Intro to raster Day 4: Intro to shapefiles
- Once registration link gets finalized, will send out, then will have second call for moderators and instructors
- Brian will be able to help on the second half, now with the multi-day schedule
Sending out report to funders
- Planning to send all funders a final report
- Usually send UFII a report
- Alethea will send out updated budget numbers
- Survey: Eve asked Flora to send us previous workshop information
- worksheets need to be copied from excel sheet, then run the old code
- Need to send report to Carpentries (has template)
- Do we have a deadline for this?
- There wasn’t a particular deadline
- What is needed exactly? Jenicca is meeting with Geraldine to walk through these files
- Jenicca and Brian work on this next week, or if Jenicca wants to do it, she can lead it
Next meeting agenda items
- We need to subscribe to our annual membership sometime soon
- The Carpentries is putting together the carpentries connect virtually
- Eve will be volunteering
- Do we want to do workshop in August? What will our August/fall look like?
- Image processing, python
- new on the carpentries page, in beta, about 8 hour lesson
- 3 or 4 day workshop and do 3 hours a day in August
- keep this in consideration, possibly with USDA machine learning
- Image processing, python
- Do we need to bring in someone else on board, since we don’t know what Minghao’s involvement will be? We’re close to an election, can manage between the remaining
- Due to workshop schedule, postpone next meeting until July 14th
- Brian: chair, Elise: secretary