Simona (remote), Kristina (remote), Geraldine (remote), Punam, Justin, Miao, Dan Maxwell, Brian, Hao
Carpentry Con Update (from Justin)
- In many places, one champion for carpentries activities (Matt v 1.0), often not part of that person’s job; in some cases, an organizer has half-time support
- Justin will upload notes to the website
- We (UF Carpentry Club) does not have a twitter presence, is this worthwhile to pursue?
- Kristina is offering to spearhead this (#FOMO)
- Hacky Hour (more social-oriented community-of-practice style events)
- Research Bazaar (multi-day event, more buffet-style than focused workshops)
- We can scale this to our capacity and feasible timelines
- professional development would help draw people in and be useful
- UFDSI might be interested (possible cross-collab between groups at UF)
- François might have non-UF contacts to help
- Melissa (new hire in Health Sciences Library) has helped put on a similar event for training, reproducibility
- What can we do for August?
- start small
- maybe just a panel discussion
- bring people from different backgrounds for (random) encounters / mixers
- Access and Allyship was a big component of the Con (1st keynote - maybe online?)
- how to run effective meetings
- Carpentry Champions program (still in the works)
- Carpentries Community Cookbook has a listing of community activities (https://cookbook.carpentries.org/)
- Mozilla is transferring Study Group (Mozilla Science Lab is closed) to the Carpentries org.
- Local Carpentry Con like events are encouraged
- possible funding sources: Mozilla, AWS, Moore foundation
June 25-26 Workshop
- 10 signups so far (from waitlist, EPI list, informatics-training list)
- no announcement yet to the gradlist - waiting for admin to circulate
- Alethea will also help circulate to other colleges
- inquiry about group discount (no, but let’s think about this as an incentive for departments to provide funding)
- Make sure helpers have scheduled times (so that they don’t show up all at once, but there are sufficient folks around)
- Added columns to the signup sheet
- Renewal Funding
- still working out the details
- can begin by approaching institutes that might have more dedicated budgets for support
- Dan might have a funding mechanism for grad students ($15/hr, 10-15 hr/wk)
- libraries are probably out, for Carpentries renewal funding, but could work to support other activities that the Board decides are important (e.g. community-building)
- bring Pam, George, Dan, Ethan together for a meeting??
- Matt might already have contacted these folks
- the sell could include a lot more than just renewal funding
- visibility to departments is going to be important for asking money
- where are we are now with existing sponsors?
- need a template of messaging when asking for funding?
- keep it the same (fortnightly, Tuesdays at 3pm)